Use only classroom materials to complete the discussion. This would include the textbooks, weblinks, and the Classroom law library, and Compliance Library. Health Information Technology Discussion
Read In the Tracks We Leave, 3rd Ed. Ch. 9 Information Technology Setback: Heartland Healthcare System (UMGC Library)
- eBook UMGC Library Permalink: http://ezproxy.umgc.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nlebk&AN=2344970&site=eds-live&scope=site&profile=edsebook
Discuss on: Medical Records in Health Care
Part 1: Critical Analysis of the Law
- Evaluate medical record requirements under the law. What should be included in the medical records to meet state and federal law requirements? Name and describe the law and give the code sections.
- Evaluate state, federal, and statute of limitations medical record retention requirements. Recommend components of a medical record retention policy for your organization in Maryland that includes the following.
- Length of medical record retention
- Indication of how and where medical records will be retained Health Information Technology Discussion
- How and when medical records will be released
- How would a medical record release be different for a patient who was from Europe, treated at your facility in Maryland, returned home after treatment? Are the patient and records are subject to the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulations)?
- Describe a HIPAA right to accounting disclosures. How would you comply with this HIPAA requirement for your organization?
- How is the health information technology (HIT) that is used for the electronic medical record a compliance tool? What are ways you can use HIT for compliance? How could a strong HIT system and strong Chief Information Officer (CIO) serve to prevent the situation described in The Tracks We Leave: Chapter 9 Information Technology Setback: Heartland Health care System? Evaluate how the AHIMA Code of Ethics and guidelines would apply to this situation. Be specific and demonstrate understanding of the risks and how the compliance tool can be used specifically to control the risks.
Part 2: Strategic Compliance with the Law
You work for a large managed care organization (MCO) that includes 5 hospitals, 25 providers clinics, 1 health insurance company, and 10 pharmacies. The MCO is using electronic health records (EHR). Your organization is not using 2015 CEHRT. Your organization participates with the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) under the Quality Payment Program (QPP).
- Evaluate 2015 CEHRT.
- Explain why it would be important to have 2015 CEHRT and the consequences of not putting this in place.
- Describe the steps you would place to put 2015 CEHRT in place that includes interoperability components under the Quality Payment Program (QPP) Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS).
- The Quality Payment Program (QPP) Merit-based Incentive Payment Systems (MIPS) also requires quality activities.
- Name and evaluate one electronic Clinical Quality Measure (eCQM) you need to capture to meet QPP quality requirements.
- How would you capture and report this data? Health Information Technology Discussion Psychology of the Coronavirus Discussion