Appendix A: Signature Assignment Personal Philosophy of Care Paper Due Week 7
Course Learning Objectives: 1 – 6
American Association of Colleges of Nursing DNP Essentials I-VIII Purpose of Assignment: The purpose of this assignment is to summarize what you have learned about issues related to complementary and alternative medicine, complementary and integrative health, global cultures, health beliefs, yourself, your beliefs, and your own personal biases and how they influence the care you deliver to patients. You will assess and evaluate a patient care encounter related to CAM/CIH, cultural competency and spirituality in health care; and discuss strategies and approaches to facilitate agreement to a safe and evidence-based care plan. You will incorporate cultural and spiritual assessment, and nursing theory. You will end this paper with a statement of how your personal philosophy of nursing has been impacted and your intention for incorporating these elements into care as an advanced practice nurse.
Step 1: Using APA format, create a WORD document and label the file Last Name_First Name_SigAssignment_NURU602 (example: Luckey_Sonia_SigAssignment_NURU602). Give your paper a title. Place a shortened version of your title in your running headers per APA format. Length of paper is 8-9 pages (not including title and references pages).
Step 2: Review what you have learned throughout this course. Select an experience from your professional practice or from another current source related to a patient’s desire to incorporate, use complementary and alternative medicine, integrative health measure, other complementary modalities or global-ethno medical systems into their health care.
1. Describe the patient, diagnosis, with background information about the patient such as other medical problems and medications.
2. Describe the desired CAM/CIH intervention, risks and benefits for the patient.
3. Does it fit into a global-ethnic medical system? If so, describe it.
4. What is the evidence supporting the desired intervention’s efficacy?
5. Does it conflict with conventional medicine recommendations or guidelines?
6. Is there any data regarding safety or potential interactions with current treatment?
7. Are there any other risks?
8. Are there relevant legal or ethical considerations?
9. How can the patient’s desired treatment be incorporated into the care plan?
10. What other culturally congruent suggestions can you make for supportive care?
11. Cultural and spiritual assessment of a patient and/or family. What other factors influence their perceptions, such as country of origin, language, or religious beliefs or spiritual beliefs? How might the difference in diversity, cultural or spiritual practice and/or belief affect the patient’s care health care?
12. Organizational Assessment. Are there conflicts with staff perceptions, such as personal beliefs, professional or organizational culture that would impact the acceptability of incorporating the patient’s desired intervention?
13. Impact on Nursing Practice. Did this change your current nursing practice? Did the situation change the way you think about delivery of care as an advanced practice nurse?
Step 3: Choose a nursing theory or conceptual model to evaluate the situation and/or guide your care. Step
4: Write your paper in the following format:
1. Introduction. A paragraph that tells the reader the topic of the paper and what it will contain.
2. Background information. Give the context about the situation you are about to present. This is a 1-3 paragraph summary of the diagnosis or illness.
3. Intervention. A sophisticated discussion about the highlighted CAM/CIH intervention, efficacy, risks and benefits for the patient, supported by a minimum of two current and scholarly references.
4. Current Guidelines. A sophisticated 4-5 paragraph discussion about conventional medicine recommendations or guidelines, data regarding safety or potential interactions with current treatment, risks, or relevant legal or ethical considerations. Support with a minimum of two current and scholarly references.
5. Nursing Theory or Conceptual Model. A 1-2 paragraph summary of the nursing theory or conceptual model you chose and a discussion of how it will be used to plan and guide your nursing care based on the chosen topic. Include at least one scholarly reference.
6. Cultural/Spiritual Assessment. What other factors influence the patient/family perceptions, such as country of origin, language, or religious beliefs or spiritual beliefs? How might the difference in diversity, cultural or spiritual practice and/or belief affect the patient’s care health care?
7. Care Plan. Describe your care plan for this patient, including Western conventional treatment. Are you able to include any of the desired intervention/modality? Discuss your rationale for inclusion or exclusion of the desired CAM/CIH intervention. Include at least one scholarly reference.
8. Impact on Practice. State and explain your personal philosophy of care, what you believe about health beliefs and practices, cultural and spiritual influences and healing that provides the lens through which you practice. Has this course improved your leadership skills in decision-making, communication, or working with your team or the patient? Has your philosophy of care or current nursing practice changed? Have you changed the way you think about delivery of care as an advanced practice nurse? Make sure to include a respectful discussion on how the differing opinions/cultures/beliefs/practices are useful to you in understanding a different worldview than your own.
9. Conclusion. Finish your paper with a concluding paragraph that states how you met the purpose of the paper stated in the first paragraph. Step five: Upload your paper to LiveText following this link: https://college.livetext.com/